Saturday, January 07, 2006

Odds & Ends

As I stated in the previous post, the members of Council voted for Bob Seelie to retain the President's gavel with At Large Councilman Mike Dever as Vice President.

What was must be some behind the scenes bickering is that Demro was the lone vote against Seelie. Although Seelie did get a shot in by saying that everyone must check their egos at the door.

It looks like the Tax increase issue is still bubbling around the Council chambers -- once Council member told me point blank that he was not for it. So as I see it the count is 5-2, for sending the request on to the voters.

Received a copy of the Street repair rankings and found that my street was not reviewed due to its status as Private. Looks like I will have to go before Council to see if I can get them to look at it to rate it. I think I will also ask about the sewer rehab for our street.

Received this week a request to sign a petition to amend the City charter to allow those who work for the City Schools be allowed to run for City Council. Right now I would have to say that I would vote down that amendment. My problem with that is what I call double dipping, that individual can get two checks from the same master and also can boost their retirement via the state pension system if they remain in office for ten years.

I think I would reverse that amendment to state that no individual can work for the Federal, State, County or Local governing entity or board and run for City Council.

Hey that just me!

No comments: