Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Wrong Direction

There are a lot of blogs out in cyberspace and every so often there is a comment by the blogger about how a posting went a totally different direction than anticipated.

Well I am in the middle of one of those moments now.

I look back at a post (November 17, 2007) about my disappointment in the Lakewood Observer during the 2007 elections and I expected a firestorm of comments from those within the Observer. However, when it was all said and done three comments. Two of them on this site and then an email from someone I have come to respect over the last couple of years.

This past Friday, I drafted a preview of how I saw the selection of Brian Powers as the new Councilman at-Large. It was a post similar to all the other pre-election handicapping I have tried to do. I waited to post it on Saturday the day of the selection, because the selection was going to be behind close doors and I felt that was a good time to release it.

I had anticipated the cronyism charges being leveled against the Council and the Mayor, but what I didn't expect was the response to my comments regarding Ruth Koenigsmark. Which was:
Round 2:Ruth Koenigsmark out, pretty active in the community, but Council is looking for someone they can work with;

Well, a firestorm that I hadn't anticipated began. I was going to let it be and not respond to the comments, because I knew what my intentions were and it was not meant to be negative. I was just going to ride out the storm and let the observation deck 3-day rule play out.
Then Jim O'Bryan responded and I finally decided to respond and defend my comments.
They don't like my explanation, but it is what it is.

I certainly wished they had made their comments on this site, since this is where it all began. Instead they went on the Observation Deck, suffice it to say I feel that I have answered the call there and won't be making anymore comments there, but I will bring them back to this site.

Like I said in the opening, this post went the direction I was not expecting.

The one thing I hope is that those who disagree with me, go look through all of the 165 posts and then judge on the whole body of work, not just one line.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Observer is where all bad blog behavior is reported. It's weird, I've seen people on the Observer complain about how people write on the Buzz, Cleveland.com, and even Craigslist. For whatever reason, they never deal with their complaints on the board of origin.

Great blog, Tim. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Carroll made a point to direct readers to his blog. He was disappointed when there was a reaction about what he posted in his blog. He would have readers believe that an inexact use of the language, rather than some other meaning, was upsetting his readers.

After directing Deck readers to his blog, Deck readers are taken to task for taking Mr. Carroll to task on the Deck. Better he should have been taken to task on his blog.

Rather than complain about Deck posts and posters here, Mr. Carroll complains on his blog about posts made on the Deck.

There's something quite bizarre about the whole episode.

dl meckes